November 24, 2009

An Ode to Dad: Stir Fried Beef and Haricot Verts

Today was a bit of a return to my roots.  My dad used to cook dinner for my mom and I every night and one of the dishes that I remember from back in the day was beef and snap peas.  So I decided to make my version with just a few minor changes.

The first step was marinating the meat.  I took about 3/4 lb of top sirloin steak and sliced it into small strips of about 1 in by 1/2 in.  I placed the pieces in a bowl with a some oyster sauce, sweet chili sauce and soy sauce and added a touch of honey, yellow mustard, sesame oil, salt and pepper.  I sat them in the fridge covered for about 2 hours.

Then, I took about 1 lb of haricot verts, snapped the ends off of them, and split the long pieces into about 3 inch pieces.  I boiled them for about 4 minutes, then set them aside.

To finish, I sweat about 1/2 a yellow onion, 3 cloves of roughly chopped garlic and a dried red pepper for a few minutes over medium low heat then added the meat/marinade mixture and turned up to medium high, added the haricot verts and finished cooking it all for about 4-5 minutes.

It was delicious, just as I remembered.  thanks, Dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment